Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Pigtails



They're there; trust me. They are just a little petite. My kids are short on words and hair in the early years. But long on spunk.

Spunk is what's happened to me over these last long weeks. You know you haven't blogged in a long time when you go to type into the Nav bar and 'facebook' is automatically assumed by your fingers. You know it's been a long time since you've blogged when you go to type in the name of your very own blog, and the autotype doesn't come on because even your computer can't remember the last time you logged in to do a new post, or even check in to say hello to those old dusty ones.

I'm back. I swear. Some day, I'll actually even down load a couple of mobile pics from the ol iPhone.

The summer has been packed with a kind of sado-masachistic 'je ne sais quoi':Tar Pits and dentists, a variety of summer camps and hernia checks at the doctor (not for me, thank goodness, I'd never subject myself to such torture.) San Francisco City trips and entire backpacks with expensive electronics stolen; long days at work and the pool.

I spent a while trying to figure out the whole sports physical thing for three boys down here in Southern California, land of the 'oh, you want your one year old to come in for a well baby visit? We have some time available in 2011 - when she's three." I couldn't get the guys in with their named doctor at the Clinic I've signed some sort of devilish pact with and NO ONE would allow me to see any other doctor there, sneak in to an urgent care or coyly sign up for the pediatric walk in clinic. It was like I was married to the doctor in some hasty ceremony in Vegas, but not as fun because there wasn't a Vegas impersonator. So I cut the cord; I found an awesome place and it wasn't too jarring that everyone who works at the new doctors' office is not above the age of about 12.

Same with the dentist - good grief - the woman was 13. I'm sorry, did you say something? You think it's me? Just because I'm hitting the big 4-0 in a couple of weeks doesn't mean that everyone is suddenly appearing prenatal to me - or does it? Kind of like the warning on your rearview mirror - Objects will appear further away - there goes my youth; so far away.

But seriously, who has time to worry about such vanity? Just this morning I was up at 5am powering up the laptop, defrosting hamburger and putting a fresh load in the wash - and it's supposed to still be summer. My mother-in-law used to tell me horror stories about staying up all night to finish things in her house and she also has five children. I haven't done that yet, but it's getting close.

For the most part, the kids have been on their best behavior, which is disappointing when you're looking for inspiration for blog fodder. Hopefully next month will be better. : )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad you dusted off the blog. Glad, too, that you're surviving the summer.
And I'm with you that everyone seems 13! Hope you're going to celebrate 40 well and give me inspiration for next year!