Monday, October 8, 2012

Giving Thanks,... Canadian style

I'm loving this Canadian Thanksgiving - It gets the Holiday Season set in full swing. No waiting for the end of October to start being festive! And we get to eat Thanksgiving dinner twice in one year without making up some silly reason to do so.

The only weird thing is the decorating. It's Thanksgiving, then Halloween, then Thanksgiving again, then Christmas. Not that I'm a big decorator, but at least the grape vine wreath on the door will be sporting leaves, spiders, leaves and then some sort of green and red thing - hopefully in the correct order.

I'm usually a healthy eater - even with five athletic kids to feed who seem to only need calories, calories, calories. Case in point? I made 10 cinnamon rolls and 2 lbs of bacon yesterday. I didn't eat a bite of any of it. Only because I was the slowest to the table.

Thanksgiving is another story. We are hosting 20 people at the homestead and this is the time for comfort food, people!

The menu: (so I can remember for American Thanksgiving in another monthe:)

Turkey

Ham

Mashed potatoes

Roasted Potatoes

Gingered carrots

Roasted brocolli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts

Spinach salad with oranges, almonds feta and basalmic vinagrette

Cornbread stuffing

Fig and walnut spread (because it's easy and I love figs.)

Sweet Potato Casserole (Never mind it has over 100% of your daily allotment of sugar. Zoiks! I cut out the butter and halved the sugar, still tastes great)

Onion Poppy Seed Bread (but I broke my jar of poppy seeds, so I used sesame seeds...)

Rice Krispie Treats

Fudgy Brownies

Someone is bringing a homemade pumpkin pie - cooked down from a real live pumpkin -

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

No comments: