Yep, it's the time of the year - we are all stretching our wallets and our legs getting ready for Black Friday. Or flexing fingers and waiting in anticipation for Cyber Monday.
I'm always on the look out for something unique for the holidays. Even better is if I happen to know the creative person who made such a wonderful gift - I feel like it makes me a better person. I'm all about basking in reflective light.
Here are a few interesting gifts for you to ponder:
1. Mamba Point by Kurtis Scalleta
Fiction for young adults. I knew Kurtis when I lived in Monrovia, Liberia. I'll be honest, we didn't hang in the same crowd. But, he's now a fellow writer with at least two great books under his belt - what is not to love? And this one takes place in Liberia. You gotta love it. Check it out.
2. Chaos Cove by Leslie Downie - this is a friend of mine at work. Her first book - and our department (fellow writers) is so proud. Makes a better present than say, downloading one of my Best Practice series on Imagery, if you know what I mean. This is another tweener book. Just got my signed copy and can't wait to read it,..
3. And of course, my friend Father Edward Beck - he's got a few books, all great reads, as well as hosting a spirituality show with Chris Cuomo on ABC. Perfect for the holidays! He's the only person I would agree to accompany to a five star Bel Air restaurant,.. with five children.
4. I recently reviewed another book that I think would make a great stocking stuffer along the same lines as Father Beck's book - "Why God Matters".
5. Tired of reading and need something to do? Since I have a bunch of boys in my house (four of them aged 9 - 42), a rusted 1959 Chevy, a leaking water heater and the vision to transform the garage,.. in my garage,.. I thought this was interesting and a great price:
Seriously? The only time you will see me enter Home Depot is during the holidays because my hubby has a fetish for power tools and office supplies. (that's that other Depot - both leave me with eyes rolled back in head, frothing at mouth.) But really? $20 for some good quality tools? That leaves some serious cash laying around for that trip to Nordstrom after the holidays, cleverly disguised as the "Half Yearly Men's Sale." Thanks Nordies, for having my back.
And you need toonage,.. so please check out this awesome fusion funky jazz from this German band - I was honored to sing in choir with Pat Appleton when I attended highschool in Liberia, the very talented leading lady of this popular European group DePhazz. I love her even if most of the time she is facebooking in german,...
And we must not forget my new favorite friend, Chickee and her awesome jewelry made from vintage items - chandeliers, spoons, type writer keys,.. she's amazing. Her business is called Lizzy B's Vintage Found Jewelry. Visit her online store or Facebook page, but better yet, email her and discuss a one of a kind item she can make for your loved ones.
That's all my sage shopping advice for now, folks. Happy Black Friday, early!