Thursday, May 28, 2009

First Haircut

Okay, first I admit that I have been a neglectful blogger and I have some serious catch up to do.

Here is the B's first haircut. She's actually been wanting one for a long time. She is a tag-along when the boys are submitted to this sublime torture and thought, since she is a girly-girl, that it actually looked like fun.

So, mom and dad battled on and off for months (dad - NO. mom - it's about time, so she doesn't trip on her golden locks, Mr. Rapunzel) So, we made a nice compromise and let the scissor-wielding stranger hack off a few inches to even it out and get the hair back up to shoulder blade level.

I think this was a Supercuts. Leave it to our family to bring in five of the seven to Supercuts making it a significant financial investment for a 'trim'.

My hair? I need an establishment I can go to 'after hours' and have a nice glass of vino while they stick aluminum foil on top of my head making me look like some sort of electric shock patient. Finding a solid 3 hours of time when I can escape the family to do this is hard to come by, so this only happens a couple times a year. This is where height has it's advantage - no one really notices the roots unless I sit down.

Fifi's hair? Let's just say Crusty the Clown didn't have trouble with tendrils getting into his eyes either. We'll wait a few more years for her hair to actually come in on the top of her head, as opposed to just the sides.

Once I snapped the requisite pics, I left the six of them to their own devices and hightailed it down the nail shop. (when you have five kids you have to squeeze in me time whenever possible). I used to think the whole mani-pedi thing was overkill - why pay someone twenty bucks to do something you should be able to do for mere pennies? But, I'm not much into the whole primping thing - I can barely stand to wash my face at night. I know, awful. I don't deal with manis since most of the time, my nails are mere fragments after all the computer typing, dishwashing, cleaning, double knot breaking, trying to make the stupid dogs heel, that my every day existence entails. Pedis, on the other hand,.. when you have size 12 feet - you need all the help you can get feminizing them.

The nail salon I go to is very nice; most of the women working there attend our Church and know who I am if for no other reason the family I am attached to takes up a lot of area in an enclosed space and we tend to be, how can I put this delicately,... LOUD. The son of one of the women working at the salon attended speech classes with Kyle when he was a preschooler. Her son has since been diagnosed with autism. It's nice to touch base with her and vent about speech and learning issues; ;lus she recently had a little girl as well.

Of course, after 20 minutes in the massage chair, soaking the feet and feeling, gosh, what's the word,.. oh! RELAXED,.. I skip back to Supercuts to find Fifi and the B in some sort of extremely loud keening cat fight over plastic blocks. I swoop them both out to the sidewalk as fast as I can to save the eardrums of people I don't know. Welcome back to reality, mom.



Priming the victim.



Love that the apron was pink!




Ack! The first cut! Supercuts was awesome - they have little cards that they slip that first peice of hair in so other, more responsible mothers, can save it in that Baby Book. I'll do that too, when I find it,...



Beauty salon sissy.




Loving the cut! Then they sprayed glitter spray in and she looked like a little fairy. It's so hard NOT to take her to the nail salon, .. but really? Must we start this whole thing at the tender age of 3? I think not. While I think it's great that other girls get their nails painted and their ears pierced, I stand firmly behind my decision that I want Sabrina to just be Sabrina for as long as possible. I want her to understand that she is perfect just the way she is - she doesn't need a perm, or red nails, or earrings, or,.. gawd forbid, a boob job later in life,.. to look beautiful.





No comments: