Thursday, August 14, 2008

In Memory of Shirley Case

I'm very saddened to report that a woman working in Afghanistan with the International Rescue Committee was killed, along with two other expats, in an ambush attack yesterday. I didn't know Shirley, but my husband and good friend 'Pak Goreng did. I think she worked at CARE in Banda Aceh while we were there. Hubby and 'Pak and another of our friends (and fellow CRS worker) went jogging together on the beach.


News reports say Shirley was in Afghanistan to help teach disabled children. I'm so very sorry and my heart goes out to her family and friends.


International Aid workers are an amazing contingent of selfless, brave people who work tirelessly and in sometimes in the most dangerous and awful conditions. I'm certain the work Shirley has done has positively affected many people, and she will be deeply missed.


More info.

No comments: